Tomato Soup With Cheesy Orzo
Posted by on February 19, 2014, 5:23 pm
Y’all, this soup is so easy to make. AAAAAAAND IT’S REALLY DELICIOUS. This is the second tomato soup recipe I’ve made off of the Picky Palate blog and so far she’s two for two.
I made this a couple of weeks ago on a chilly night, and it was perfect. We haven’t had a chilly night for almost a week now and I tell you it has been GLORIOUS. It doesn’t have to be cold for you to make this, but it DOES help when it IS cold. Right?
Fun fact: this was both mine and Mike’s first time trying orzo. We like it!
Tomato Soup with Cheesy Orzo
Recipe source: Picky Palate
- 15 ounce can Fire Roasted Tomatoes (or regular, diced tomatoes)
- 1/2 cup plain Greek Yogurt (or sour cream, if you don’t have yogurt on hand)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Garlic Salt
- 1/2 cup dry orzo
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely shredded cheddar cheese
- Place tomatoes, yogurt, salt, pepper and garlic salt into a high powered blender. Blend until smooth. Transfer to a medium saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Cook orzo according to package directions. Drain and transfer to a medium bowl. Stir in salt, pepper and cheese until melted.
- Pour soup into bowls and top with cheesy orzo.
Makes 2-4 Servings
Notes from Sandi: I think this could very easily be doubled, with no problem. Also, I served roasted broccoli with this. I learned about roasted broccoli from the blog Can You Stay For Dinner? I don’t think we’ve eaten broccoli any other way since. Seriously. It completely unleashes broccoli’s full potential when you add a little oil and salt and roast. AND IT TURNS SUCH A PRETTY GREEN!